28 April 2022

RISK ASSESSMENT: "There Are Sharks Out There."


(screenrant.com)

"You can come aboard the lifeboat, but I'm not jumping in after you because there are sharks out there." - Dallas Taylor

"They may get your drunk before you can get them sober" is an A.A. expression often heard in a Recovery Meeting. The suggestion is to not offer help to another person by going into a barroom unaccompanied by a fellow person in recovery.

When I first got sober, I got rehired at a bar I had worked at far from sober for many years. I stayed sober this time while pouring drinks for others. I thought the days of my dark descent into full-blown, textbook-case alcoholism were over. Somehow, I managed to stay Sober for a year and a few days before a drink somehow ended up being served to me and casually sipped by me without thinking. And then another and another until another year passed.

I guess my alcoholism was not as manageable as I had imagined. My eight-year stretch of going on the wagon and falling back off again began here.

Being a bartender was a rickety-ass lifeboat for me. It definitely was not my smartest move to get back into my bartending groove. Maybe now, with 18 years clean and sober I could! Others have. 

Everyone has to do their own Risk Assessment. My Risk Assessment is NEVER AGAIN!

Do as you Wish.

I drank like a Fish.

I was not a First-Time Winner.

The Sharks had me for dinner!

*****

Check out my NEW Non-Fiction, BECOMING UNBROKEN: Reflections on Addiction and Recovery (Find it on Amazon, Book it here): https://lnkd.in/dkF767RT 

Or immerse yourself in my Descent into Addiction and eventual Recovery in my Autobiographical Fiction, ALL DRINKING ASIDE: The Destruction, Deconstruction & Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal (Find it on Amazon. Book it here): https://lnkd.in/esP83n-c 

#alcoholism #addiction #recovery #books

I hope you enjoy BOTH of my BOOKS on ADDICTION & RECOVERY! (Print & Kindle Versions of Both are Available!)

No comments:

Post a Comment