02 December 2016

The lights outside the hospital emergency room were like the lights on the landing strip of an airport...


    The lights outside the hospital emergency room were like the lights on the landing strip of an airport and I was a helicopter hovering, hovering, hovering. I stood on the street outside the emergency room of the Atlantic City Hospital. I had been in a blackout and I did not know how I got there. Finally, a paramedic came over to me, after 5 or 20 minutes. An hour? I don’t know.
  "Do you need help?"
  I answered, "This is not working. This is not working. The alcohol is not working. I cannot do what this is now, not working...."
  I collapsed on the street like a sandcastle knocked over by a wave. My sand spread out onto the sidewalk....
*****

from All Drinking Aside: https://lnkd.in/esP83n-c 





No comments:

Post a Comment