02 May 2022

The Eyes of a Child and of an Old Man Converge

 





"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Every day, the child I was, the old man that I am and the person I wish to become walk hand-in-hand-in-hand. I wear glasses but my vision is clear. Sober. Recovery has given me new eyes and these eyes are being renewed each day. 
Addiction took away everything from me. Recovery has given me my life back. 
I haven't gotten to the point of being enthralled by watching the paint dry, but over the first three days in my new Sober House, I did notice that the grass was noticeably just a little longer each day. In my addiction, the curb at times was my stone pillow, passed out I knew not where, why (besides alcohol and drugs) or how. I would come to wanting more of what was slowly dissipating me.
It was me who was disappearing in the bottom of the glass.
Most certainly I'd not be noticing the growing of the grass.
The landscape is unquestionably outside of me.
Today, I can remember the days when a swimming pool filled with Visine couldn't "get the red out" of my bloodshot eyes.
My young, old and sober eyes are new again.
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." 
*****

Check out my NEW Non-Fiction, BECOMING UNBROKEN: Reflections on Addiction and Recovery (Find it on Amazon, Book it here): https://lnkd.in/dkF767RT 

Or immerse yourself in my Descent into Addiction and eventual Recovery in my Autobiographical Fiction, ALL DRINKING ASIDE: The Destruction, Deconstruction & Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal (Find it on Amazon. Book it here): https://lnkd.in/esP83n-c 

#alcoholism #addiction #recovery #books

I hope you enjoy BOTH of my BOOKS on ADDICTION & RECOVERY! (Print & Kindle Versions of Both are Available!)

No comments:

Post a Comment