16 April 2022

IS "THE UNIVERSE... UNFOLDING AS IT SHOULD"?


"And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." - Max Ehrmann

This quote is part of "Desiderata," a prose piece written in 1927 and later adorning the walls of thousands of college dormitories in the 1970's in verse form. It's worth a Google search if you are interested in the full text.

Authenticity, Self-Assertiveness and Loving and Being True to Oneself are at the core of "Desiderata," suggesting to me that the best is yet to come. Or has the best already come and gone?

I don't know. 

But I do know and do feel that living in Recovery allows the Possibility of the best of all possible worlds. Addiction allowed me not much of anything besides my necessity to fulfill my Minimum Daily Requirement of Drugs, NO Satisfaction Guaranteed. Misery implicit. Addiction is Suffering for no purpose, Endless Discontent. Nothing seemed possible at the end of my drinking career. 

I will settle for Serenity, Clean and Sober over Drunk, Drugged, Desperate, Isolated & Alone.

 "And whether or not it is clear" to me, "no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." 

Without Recovery, the nothingness of Addiction would return, no unfolding, no unfolding.

Recovery is good.

*****

Check out my NEW Non-Fiction, BECOMING UNBROKEN: Reflections on Addiction and Recovery (Find it on Amazon, Book it here): https://lnkd.in/dkF767RT 

Or immerse yourself in my Descent into Addiction and eventual Recovery in my Autobiographical Fiction, ALL DRINKING ASIDE: The Destruction, Deconstruction & Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal (Find it on Amazon. Book it here): https://lnkd.in/esP83n-c

#alcoholism #addiction #recovery #books

I hope you enjoy BOTH of my BOOKS on ADDICTION & RECOVERY! (Print & Kindle Versions of Both are Available!)




No comments:

Post a Comment