17 January 2017

An Almost Silly (?) Little Post


I just friended a guy on Facebook and in the matter of a few seconds he sort of dismissed me, explaining that his substance was cocaine and mine was alcohol. End of story?
Not really. I sent him this quote from my book:
***** 
"Alcohol is my poison, my prison. A brick wall, a trap door, a cancer, a bad joke, an empty bottle, an excuse, a leaky faucet, a loan shark, a broken promise, a cracked mirror, an earthquake, an avalanche, a train wreck, a recurring nightmare. Alcohol is my insanity."
*****
Then I asked him: "Was Cocaine your poison, your prison? A brick wall, a trap door, a cancer, a bad joke, an empty bottle, an excuse, a leaky faucet, a loan shark, a broken promise, a cracked mirror, an earthquake, an avalanche, a train wreck, a recurring nightmare? Was Cocaine your insanity?"
*****
Our differing addictions, mine to a legal substance, his to an illegal one, led us to identify with each other. 
His Unicorn was Turquoise. My Unicorn was Purple.
We could have argued apples and oranges, but our common purpose in maintaining and sustaining our Recovery is the common thread in the fabric of our lives. 
I could easily delineate a thousand and one differences in our addictions, but that is not the purpose of this post (read some of my other posts). 
We are United in Our Unicorn-iness!


*****
#Alcoholism #Addiction #Recovery
*****
This almost silly (?) little post is not from All Drinking Aside, 
but has the same author. All Drinking Aside: The Destruction, 
Deconstruction & Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal 
by Jim Anders is linked here: https://goo.gl/ycu5jg 


Find his recovery Tweets here: 


Explore the flavor and texture of his writing style on LinkedIn here: 


No comments:

Post a Comment